On October 13th the Philosophy Department lost a dear colleague, friend, and mentor, Professor Burleigh Wilkins. Burleigh taught for 45 years at the Department. He wrote many books and articles in political philosophy and the philosophy of history, and both his scholarly and his mentoring were celebrated in the volume Essays In Honor of Burleigh Wilkins: From History to Justice (2001). Burleigh loved to teach, and will be vividly remembered by the many students he inspired with his generosity of spirit and love for philosophy. We will miss him.
- Job Opening: We invite applicants for an open-rank, tenure track position.
- The course schedule for Fall 2015 is available.
- Grad Talk — Corey McGrath, "An Argument for Color Realism" on Friday, November 13th in South Hall 5617 at 4:00 PM
- Humphrey Fund for Excellence in Philosophy Lecture — Marc Lange (UNC Chapel Hill), on Friday, March 11th in South Hall 5617 at 4:00 PM
- Reading Group — Normativity Reading Group on Wednesdays in the Philosophy Department Common Room at 11:30 AM
- Meeting — Undergraduate Philosophy Club on Thursdays in the Philosophy Department Common Room at 5 PM
- Meeting — Ethics Bowl on Tuesdays in the Philosophy Department Common Room at 7 PM
- Reading Group — Santa Barbarians on Thursdays at 8 PM
The UCSB Philosophy department is conducting a open-rank job search for a tenure-track position. More details here.
We are delighted to welcome seven new graduate students this year:
Congratulations to graduate students Sherri Lynn Conklin and Jonathan Caravello and faculty PI Michael Rescorla on winning a 2015-2016 UCHRI Graduate Multicampus Working Group award for their work in Philosophy and Inclusive Pedagogy. The working group involves graduate student collaborators at UCI, UCLA, and UCSD and builds on a initiative by chapters of SoCal MAP.
Congratulations to Michael Rescorla on winning the 2015 Herbert A. Simon Award from the International Association for Computing and Philosophy. The Simon Award is given annually to “scholars at an early stage of their academic career who are likely to reshape debates at the nexus of Computing and Philosophy.”
The Anthony Brueckner Memorial Conference is taking place at UCSB from February 13–15, 2015, in the Loma Pelona Center.
- Tyler Burge
- Ernest Sosa
- Gary Ebbs
- Christopher Hill
- John Martin Fischer
- Yuval Avnur
- Dorit Bar-On
- Chris Buford
- Robin Jeshion
- Jonathan Vogel
This conference has been made possible by generous financial support from Steven Humphrey.
On the last day of 2014, the UCSB Philosophy Department lost a brilliant student, teaching associate, and friend, Jason Bennett. Jason was genuinely remarkable. He was talented, kind, extremely thoughtful, and extremely admirable. In addition to being a very capable and insightful philosopher, Jason was an artist. With his tremendous potential, he seemed to have a promising future ahead of him. Sadly, it was not to be. Above all, Jason was a thoroughly decent human being. The world is significantly impoverished by his absence.
Jason’s syllabus for Philosophy 1 included the following quote from T. S. Eliot’s Little Gidding:
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
Those who knew him are invited to leave their memories and condolences on his memorial Facebook page.
Congratulations to the UCSB Ethics Bowl team that reached the semi-finals of the Southern California Regional competition on December 6th, 2014 at Santa Barbara City College!